Friday, October 22, 2010

The Generous Heart


Travel with me will you into the heart of an old woman with a giving heart. She makes the most exquisite quilts you've ever seen. The richest townspeople line up outside her door, time and time again, with bags of gold to purchase her one-of-a-kind quilts. But the woman would not sell them.

"I give my quilts to those who are poor or homeless," she told all who knocked on her door. "They are not for the rich."

The fame of the quiltmaker's talent spread to the King. The King had a love of wonderful things. So much so that he decided it would be fitting to celebrate his birthday TWICE a year! This of course would also require all the townspeople to bring him a gift TWICE a year! He collected and collected gifts but none made him happy.

This is where I want the author to insert some Christian principles. SIGH. However, when I read to baby girl, I'm comfortable doing so even if the author doesn't see the connection.

The King's greed led him to demanding a quilt of the quiltmaker. She refused. The King tried all sorts of methods to coerce the quiltmaker to make him a quilt. After all, that was the 1 gift that would satisfy him and finally make him happy. Right?! She told him,

"Make presents of everything you own," she said, "and then I'll make a quilt for you. With each gift that you give. I'll sew in another piece. When at last all your things are gone, your quilt will be finished."

Now for a greedy King GIVING was out of the question. So he pushed on to force the quiltmakers hand but she would not. Though she was locked up with a grizzly bear and left stranded on an island, she remained persistent. Her quilts were for the poor!

The King felt guilty for torturing her so he finally conceded. It started with a marble, then a few coats, however within weeks the King gave away all his treasures. As he gave, he began to smile. The townspeople were so happy! The King found his happiness, not with a quilt, but through developing a love of generosity and making others happy. In the end, the quiltmaker did indeed, make his quilt, as promised when he was finally poor. His last words to the quiltmaker:

"But I am not poor," he said. "I may look poor but in truth my heart is full to bursting, filled with memories of all the happiness I've given and received. I'm the richest man I know."

As I closed this book, I realized I was smiling, ear to ear. This simple children's story reminds me of the giving heart Jesus had and the call to be generous givers as He was. True happiness and fulfillment doesn't come from material things. In a world so materially driven, this little children's book provides such a good message on the importance of a giving heart. Though, I intend to put my own Christian spin on it...baby McGehee will definitely hear this one time and time again.

I should also mention, the illustrations of the quiltmaker and her quilts make ME want one! Beautiful job Jeff Brumbeau and Gail de Marcken.

2 comments:

  1. please share with me. I want to see! And question: was the quiltmaker's name Nora?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I will set this one aside for you. It's a big long for Alex, but you could try! And no, the quiltmaker's name was not Nora. Ha ha. (Even if it was, this would have been a Nora I liked.)

    ReplyDelete